CHAPTER I GENERAL PROVISIONS
Article 1 (Purpose)
The purpose of this Ordinance is to contribute to the advancement of health and welfare of citizens and the sustainable and healthy development of Seoul Metropolitan Government by adequately handling the adverse effects of climate change on the global environment and promoting the reduction of greenhouse gas emissions generated by citizens' activities, and to prescribe matters necessary for implementation of the Clean Air Conservation Act and the Enforcement of Decree of the same Act. <Amended by Ordinance No. 5786, Jan. 2, 2015>
Article 2 (Definitions)
The definitions of terms used in this Ordinance shall be as follows: <Amended by Ordinance No. 5544, Aug. 1, 2013>
Article 3 (Greenhouse Gas Reduction Targets)
(1) The Seoul Metropolitan Government (hereinafter referred to as "Seoul Government") shall set targets for the reduction of the total emission volume of greenhouse gases and include the same in a master plan for tackling climate change pursuant to Article 8 (1).
Article 4 (Duties of Seoul Government)
(1) The Seoul Government has an obligation to formulate policies against climate change, suited to regional characteristics, and execute the same.
Article 5 (Duties of Autonomous Gus)
(1) Each autonomous Gu shall be held responsible for the formulation of policies against climate change in consideration of the characteristics of its jurisdictional area according to the policies against climate change of the Seoul Government and shall execute such policies in good faith.
Article 6 (Duties of Business Operators)
(1) Each business operator shall take measures for the emission control of greenhouse gases generated in connection with his/her business activities.
Article 7 (Duties of Citizens)
(1) Each citizen shall endeavor to control the emission of greenhouse gases generated in connection with his/her daily life.
CHAPTER II FORMULATION OF MASTER PLANS FOR TACKLING CLIMATE CHANGE
Article 8 (Master Plans for Tackling Climate Change)
(1) The Mayor of the Seoul Metropolitan Government (hereinafter referred to as "Mayor") shall formulate and execute a master plan for tackling climate change of the Seoul Metropolitan Government (hereinafter referred to as "master plan for tackling climate change") every five years for the comprehensive and systematic promotion of policies against climate change.
Article 9 (Annual Execution Plans)
(1) The Mayor shall formulate an annual execution plan according to a master plan for tackling climate change under Article 8 and execute the same.
Article 10 (Report to Seoul Metropolitan Council)
The Mayor shall report an annual execution plan and a report on the outcomes of the execution thereof to the Seoul Metropolitan Council each year.
Article 11 (White Paper on Climate Change)
(1) The Mayor shall, each year, prepare and publish a white paper on climate change to make the important details and conditions of the promotion of a master plan for tackling climate change known to citizens.
CHAPTER III CLIMATE CHANGE COUNTERMEASURE COMMITTEE
Article 12 (Establishment and Operation of Climate Change Countermeasure Committee)
(1) The Mayor shall establish the Climate Change Countermeasure Committee (hereinafter referred to as the "Committee") under his/her control to deliberate on the following matters, such as deliberation on matters concerning the formulation and modification of a master plan for tackling climate change and an annual execution plan, and reflection of the opinions of experts and citizens in the process of determination and execution, etc. of policies against climate change:
Article 13 (Meetings)
(1) The chairperson shall call a meeting of the Committee when he/she deems it necessary or at the request of not less than one third of incumbent members.
Article 14 (Allowances, etc.)
The Mayor may reimburse expenses incurred in activities of the Committee in the form of activity money, allowances, travel expenses, etc. within the budget.
CHAPTER IV MEASURES TO REDUCE GREENHOUSE GASES
Article 15 (Calculation of Greenhouse Gas Emissions, etc.)
(1) The Mayor shall calculate greenhouse gas emissions, etc. in Seoul according to rthe Enforcement rule for the effective promotion of policies against climate change through an understanding of the accurate conditions on the emission of greenhouse gases.
Article 16 (Plan for Reducing Greenhouse Gas Emissions, etc.)
(1) Where a person operating a business in excess of a certain scale as defined in the Enforcement Rule (hereinafter referred to as "specified business operator") invests in facilities, etc. controlling the emission of greenhouse gases, the Mayor may provide him/her with financial and other necessary support.
Article 17 (Report on Reduction of Greenhouse Gas Emissions, etc.)
(1) A specified business operator who has received support pursuant to Article 16 (1) shall submit a report on the progress of a plan for reducing greenhouse gas emissions (hereinafter referred to as "report on reduction of greenhouse gas emissions") to the Mayor, as prescribed by the Enforcement Rule.
Article 18 (Publication of Plan for Reducing Greenhouse Gas Emissions, etc.)
The Mayor shall publicize, without delay, details of the matters concerning a specified business operator prescribed by Articles 16 and 17 in accordance with rthe Enforcement Rule.
Article 19 (Application of Eco-Friendly Standards to Buildings)
(1) Each person who constructs a building and each owner of an existing building shall endeavor to follow eco-friendly standards determined by the Metropolitan Government for the emission control of greenhouse gases.
Article 20 (Restraint from Use of Motor Vehicles, etc.)
(1) Business operators and citizens shall restrain themselves from the use of motor vehicles in business activities and daily lives for the emission control of greenhouse gases.
Article 21 (Prohibition of Idling of Motor Vehicles)
(1) No motor vehicle driver shall idle his/her motor vehicle when it is parked or stopped in accordance with the Seoul Metropolitan Government Ordinance on Restrictions on Idling of Motor Vehicles.
Article 22 (Purchase and Proliferation of Eco-Friendly Motor vehicles)
(1) Where the Seoul Government and autonomous Gus purchase motor vehicles, they shall preferentially purchase eco-friendly motor vehicles, such as hybrid cars, electric vehicles, etc., and endeavor to proliferate eco-friendly motor vehicles.
Article 23 (Participation in No-Driving Day Program, etc.)
(1) Each person who owns a motor vehicle shall endeavor to actively participate in the no-driving day program promoted by the Seoul Government for the reduction of greenhouse gases and smooth traffic on the road, etc.
Article 24 (Car-Free Day)
(1) The Seoul Government and autonomous Gus may formulate and execute policies for controlling the operation of motor vehicles in central city areas for reducing greenhouse gases generated from driving motor vehicles.
Article 25 (Promotion of Use of Bicycles, etc.)
The Seoul Government and autonomous Gus shall formulate and execute policies for promoting the use of means of eco-friendly transportation, such as bicycles, so that citizens may move safely and conveniently without using motor vehicles.
Article 25-2 (Eco-Mileage System)
(1) The Mayor may implement an eco-mileage system in order to reduce greenhouse gases through energy conservation.
CHAPTER V MEASURES TO ADAPT TO CLIMATE CHANGE
Article 26 (Measures to Adapt to Climate Change)
The Seoul Government shall formulate and execute measures to maintain sustainable development with minimal adverse effects, such as personal or physical damage to citizens from diverse environmental conditions in the future due to climate change (hereinafter referred to as "measures to adapt to climate change").
Article 27 (Establishment of System to Assess Climate Change Impacts)
The Seoul Government shall establish a system to assess climate change impacts to study environmental changes caused by climate change and its impacts on citizens' health, etc.
Article 28 (Assessment of Impacts of and Vulnerability to Climate Change)
In formulating measures to adapt to climate change, the Seoul Government shall assess the impacts of and vulnerability to climate change.
CHAPTER VI SUPPORT, ETC. FOR TACKLING CLIMATE CHANGE
Article 29 (Establishment and Operation of Research Center for Management of Climate Change)
(1) The Seoul Government may establish and operate the Seoul Metropolitan Research Center for Management of Climate Change (hereinafter referred to as the "Research Center for Management of Climate Change") for the efficient promotion of policies for dealing with climate change.
Article 30 (Cooperative Relations with the State)
(1) The Seoul Government shall endeavor to cooperate with the State and other local governments in implementing policies that require wide-area cooperation for tackling climate change.
Article 31 (Education and Public Information)
The Seoul Government shall formulate policies necessary to advance understanding of citizens and the spread of knowledge on climate change and the emission control of greenhouse gases.
Article 32 (Establishment of Fund)
(1) The Seoul Government shall establish and operate the Climate Change Fund to raise its own funds for the promotion of policies against climate change, such as reducing greenhouse gas emissions.
Article 33 (Financial Support, etc.)
(1) The Seoul Government shall establish taxation and financial measures necessary for the promotion of policies against climate change.