Article 1 (Purpose)
The purpose of these Rules shall be to prescribe matters delegated under the Seoul Metropolitan Government Ordinance on the Use and Management of Gwanghwamun Square and matters necessary to enforce the same.
Article 2 (Application for Permission to Use)
(1) A person (hereinafter referred to as the "Petitioner") who intends using Gwanghwamun Square (hereinafter referred to as the "Square") under Article 5(1) of the Seoul Metropolitan Government Ordinance on the Use and Management of Gwanghwamun Square (hereinafter referred to as the "Ordinance") may submit in person an application (hereinafter referred to as the "Application") for permission to use Gwanghwamun Square under Attached Form 1 of the Ordinance or submit the same by mail, fax, email, etc.
(2) When the Application is received under paragraph (1) above, the department that handles applications (hereinafter referred to as the "Competent Department") shall record the details of the Application in the applications register for permission to use Gwanghwamun Square in the Attached Form.
(3) The Competent Department shall, immediately after receiving the Application, disclose the handling of permission to use on the Seoul Metropolitan City's public square website (hereinafter referred to as the "Website"); Provided, That matters related to personal information shall not be disclosed.
Article 3 (Supplementation of Application)
(1) Where a document submitted by the Petitioner is flawed, a substantial term necessary for supplementation shall be set and the Petitioner shall be required to supplement the document without delay.
(2) Where the Petitioner is required to supplement under paragraph (1) above, the supplementation may be made in writing, verbally, by telephone, via email, etc. unless the Petitioner specifically requests to supplement in writing.
(3) Where the Petitioner fails to supplement within the term under paragraph (1) above, such failure shall be governed by relevant laws and regulations, such as the Civil Petitions Treatment Act.
Article 4 (Receipt of Application for Permission to Use the Following Year)
(1) Where the Application is filed to hold the following events within 30 days in the following year, the Mayor may grant the Application on a preferential basis notwithstanding Article 5(1) of the Ordinance:
1. An event held or hosted by the central or local government as an event related to a national holiday, public holiday, memorial day, etc. stipulated by related laws and regulations;
2. An event that has continuously used the Square for the last 3 years from the year immediately preceding when the Application was filed as an event related to a national holiday, public holiday, memorial day, etc. stipulated by related laws and regulations;
3. An event recognized, given substantial time is required for preparation, as an event that has used the Square annually; or
4. Where the Seoul Metropolitan Government Citizens' Public Square Operation Committee on the operation of public squares determines an event as being one of public interest under the Seoul Metropolitan Government Ordinance on the Establishment and Operation of the Seoul Metropolitan Government Citizens' Public Square Operation Committee.
(2) A person who intends to use the Square the following year under paragraph (1) above shall submit the Application within the deadline for application to use the square the following year.
(3) Days on which the Square may be used in the following year under paragraph (2) above shall be from January 1 to December 31. And the Application shall be filed every year from the second Sunday in October to the fourth Friday in the same month.
(4) Where the Mayor intends to receive the Application under paragraph (2) above, he/she shall publicly announce who may submit the Application, when the Application may be submitted, etc. on the website for 10 days or more.
(5) Where it is determined whether the Application under paragraph (2) above is accepted, the Mayor shall publicly announce such determination on the website without delay; Provided, That matters related to personal information shall not be disclosed.
Article 5 (Ranking of Applications)
(1) Ranking of Applications under Article 6(2) of the Ordinance shall be determined based on the order in which the Applications are received by email, etc.
(2) Where 2 or more Applications share the same rank, it shall be changed by mutual agreement among the Petitioners. Where the change is not made, permission to use may be granted in accordance with an opinion of the Seoul Metropolitan City Citizens' Committee on the operation of open square.
Article 6 (Restriction of Permission to Use)
Use of the whole or part of the Square may not be permitted in the following cases in accordance with Article 6(3) of the Ordinance:
1. When the Square is being cleaned, renovated, repaired, etc.;
2. Where the position, quantity, height, etc. of facilities to be installed in the Square can destroy the landscape or obstruct traffic;
3. Where facilities in the Square are destroyed and an obligation to restore them is delayed or not fulfilled or where permission to use is canceled or suspended in the last year under Article 9 of the Ordinance; or
4. Where the Square is used for 7 or more consecutive days for an event with the same purpose and an event at issue is overlapped with other events.
Article 7 (Matters to be Observed)
Users shall observe the following under subparagraph 2 of Article 9 of the Ordinance:
1. Users shall use the Square within the permitted place and time;
2. Users shall consult in advance in case of any change in the installation of permitted facilities;
3. Users shall maintain order and cleanliness;
4. Users shall not advertise or market for profit;
5. Users shall take measures to prevent safety accidents;
6. Sound may be used only within a permitted scope; and
7. Users shall not obstruct free passage of citizens or incite hatred.
Article 8 (Fee Standards)
Fee standards for the Square under Article 10(1) of the Ordinance are as stipulated by the Attached Table:
1 (Fee Standards for the Square (pursuant to Article 8))
1 (Application Register for Permission to Use Gwanghwamun Square)