CHAPTER I GENERAL PROVISIONS
Article 1 (Purpose) The purpose of this Ordinance is to realize cultural welfare, with which citizens can experience a satisfying life, and develop Seoul into a city with international competitiveness by providing for fundamental matters necessary for the development of Seoul to a people-oriented cultural city, the matters delegated by the Culture and Arts Promotion Act and the Enforcement Decree of the same Act and the Promotion of Local Cultural Institutes Act and the Enforcement Decree of the same Act; and the matters necessary for the enforcement thereof.
Article 2 (Basic Idea)
The underlying concept of this Ordinance is to develop an urban environment that enables citizens to display their self-regulating and creative cultural capabilities and to enjoy a cultural life autonomously.
Article 3 (Definitions)
(1) The terms used in this Ordinance shall be defined as follows:
Article 4 (Relationships to other Statutes and Regulations)
Except as otherwise expressly provided for by other statutes and municipal ordinances and Rules of the Seoul Metropolitan Government, provisions of this Ordinance shall apply to the implementation of policies for the realization of a cultural city (hereinafter referred to as "cultural city policy").
Article 5 (Mayor's Responsibility)
(1) The Mayor of the Seoul Metropolitan Government (hereinafter referred to as the "Mayor") shall endeavor to grow Seoul into a cultural city, formulate and implement policy for improving citizen's access to culture and arts, and ensure that a balance is kept between different regions and between various fields of culture and arts.
CHAPTER II BASIC DIRECTION-SETTING FOR CULTURAL CITY POLICY
Article 6 (Fostering, etc. of Culture and Arts)
(1) The Mayor shall endeavor to foster cultural and artistic activities of culturists and artists and create cultural facilities and appropriate conditions for assisting them in such activities.
Article 7 (Creation of Cultural Urban Environment)
(1) The Mayor shall endeavor to develop urban scenary artistically and aesthetically, and to preserve and restore historic cultural heritage of Seoul.
Article 8 (Promotion of Cultural Welfare)
The Mayor shall take measures to guarantee that every citizen can experience culture in daily life, without burdens; and have opportunities to actively participate in cultural activities.
Article 9 (Fostering of Cultural Industry)
The Mayor shall formulate and implement a policy for the extension of facilities, the provision of technology and human resources, assistance in business startups and distribution, etc. for the promotion of the cultural industry based on knowledge and creativity.
Article 10 (Establishment of Citizen Culture)
(1) The Mayor shall endeavor to ensure that a sound citizen culture is established by pro-actively supporting citizens' sound cultural activities.
CHAPTER III SYSTEM FOR IMPLEMENTATION OF POLICIES FOR URBAN CITY
Article 11 (Formulation and Implementation of Plans for Development of Cultural City)
(1) The Mayor shall formulate and implement a comprehensive and systematic plan for the realization of a cultural city (hereinafter referred to as "comprehensive plan for a cultural city") in accordance with the basic direction-setting for the cultural city policy under Articles 6 through 10.
Article 12 (Collection of Opinions from Citizens)
When the Mayor intends to formulate a comprehensive plan for a cultural city, he/she shall collect opinions from ordinary citizens, institutions and organizations related to culture, etc.
CHAPTER IV ADVISORY COMMITTEE ON CULTURAL CITY
Article 13 (Purpose and Functions)
POLICY OF SEOUL GOVERNMENT
Article 14 (Composition of Committee)
(1) The Advisory Committee shall be composed of members commissioned from among private experts, non-governmental organizations, ordinary citizens, etc., and the term of office of each committee member shall be two years: Provided, That the term of office may be renewed consecutively only once.
Article 15 (Operation of Committee)
(1) A Committee meeting shall be called by the Mayor, whenever he/she deems it necessary to deliberate or seek advice on any of the matters specified in Article 13.
Article 16 (Request to Related Institutions, etc. for Cooperation)
When the Advisory Committee deems it necessary, it may request related institutions, organizations, etc. to furnish it with data, present their opinions, and cooperate therewith as necessary.
Article 17 (Allowances and Travel Expense)
Allowances may be paid and travel expense reimbursed to committee members who are not public officials within the budget.
Article 18 (Detailed Rule of Operation)
Except as otherwise provided for by this Ordinance, matters necessary for the operation of the Advisory Committee shall be determined by the chairperson after resolution by the Advisory Committee.
CHAPTER V DESIGNATION AND FOSTERING OF SPECIALIZED ART CORPORATIONS AND ORGANIZATIONS
Article 19 (Designation of Specialized Art Corporations and Organizations)
(1) A person who wishes to be designated as a specialized art corporation or organization, among nonprofit corporations or organizations under Article 7 (2) of the Culture and Arts Promotion Act, shall file an application for designation (or amendment) thereof, with the Mayor in accordance with Article 4 (1) of the Enforcement Decree of the afore-mentioned Act. The same procedure shall apply where a person intends to change any detail in the designation in accordance with Article 4 (2) of the Enforcement Decree of the afore-mentioned Act.
Article 20 (Revocation of Designation of Specialized Art Corporations and Organizations)
(1) Pursuant to Article 7 (4) of the Culture and Arts Promotion Act and Article 4-3 of the Enforcement Decree of the afore-said Act, the Mayor may revoke the designation of a specialized art corporation or organization, if the corporation or organization falls within any of the following cases: Provided, That the designation shall be revoked in cases falling under subparagraph 1:
Article 21 (Support and Fostering of Specialized Art Corporations and Organizations)
The Mayor may subsidize specialized art corporations and organizations for necessary expenses, within the budget.
CHAPTER VI FOSTERING OF LOCAL CULTURAL INSTITUTES
Article 22 (Mayor's Responsibilities)
(1) The Mayor shall ensure that every autonomous Gu establishes and operates a cultural institute under the Promotion of Local Cultural Institutes Act.
Article 23 (Functions and Activities of Local Cultural Institutes)
(1) A local cultural institute shall conduct the following activities for local culture:
CHAPTER VII PROMOTION OF CULTURE AND ARTS FESTIVALS
Article 24 (Fostering of Festivals)
The Mayor shall endeavor to pro-actively develop and implement policies for the promotion and development of citizen-participatory, international festivals.
Article 25 (Holding, etc. of Festivals)
(1) The Mayor hold festivals on a regular or irregular basis, within the budget, so as to improve citizen's leisure and promote the sense of unity of citizens.
Article 26 (Subsidization of Private Festivals)
The Mayor may subsidize a private sector host of a festival for expenses incurred in holding the festival, within the budget, so as to promote and develop festivals held by the private sector.
Article 27 (Entrustment, etc. of Administrative Work for Festivals)
The Mayor may entrust administrative work for planning and operating festivals, to a corporation, organization, or individual specialized in programs and activities for culture and arts so as to enhance the specialization, effectiveness, etc. of festivals under Article 25.
Article 28 (Evaluation of Festivals)
(1) The Mayor shall evaluate policies on festivals, outcomes of festivals, support systems, etc. so as to promote the development of festivals.
CHAPTER VIII CREATING OF SPACES FOR CULTURE AND ARTS
Article 29 (Buildings Subject to Recommendation for Creating Spaces for Culture and Arts)
If any of the buildings specified for a purpose of use in attached Table 1 of the Enforcement Decree of the Building Act, falls with under any of the following cases and has 16 or more floors, the Mayor shall recommend to create spaces for culture and arts, such as theaters, galleries, etc. in the building in accordance with Article 5 (2) of the Culture and Arts Promotion Act and Article 3 of the Enforcement Decree of the afore-said Act: Provided, That no limitation on the number of floors shall apply to a building for a facility specified in subparagraph 1 or 4:
CHAPTER IX INSTALLATION OF ARTWORKS
Article 30 (Procedure for Installation of Artworks)
(1) The Mayor shall notify a person who intends to erect a building defined by Article 12 (1) of the Enforcement Decree of the Culture and Arts Promotion Act (hereinafter referred to as "building owner") that the person is obliged to install artworks in accordance with Article 9 (1) of the Culture and Arts Promotion Act.
Article 31 (Inspection of Installation of Artworks)
The Mayor shall conduct an inspection to ensure whether artworks are installed in accordance with the results of appraisal and evaluation under Article 30 (4) before the permitting authority approves the use of the building under Article 22 of the Building Act.
Article 32 (Follow-up Management of Artworks)
(1) If necessary to restore an artwork; or to remove or alter an artwork for restoration under Article 15 of the Enforcement Decree of the Culture and Arts Promotion Act, such restoration, removal, or alteration shall be performed after passing an examination by the Committee for Examination of Artworks.
Article 33 (Pricing, etc. of Artworks)
(1) The price of an artwork shall be determined with the amount specified in the contract made between the building owner and the artist or his/her agent on the installation of the artwork.
Article 34 (Ratio of Construction Cost Expended for Artworks in Multi-Family Housing Buildings)
An amount referred to in subparagraph 1 of attached Table of the Enforcement Decree of the Culture and Arts Promotion Act shall be an amount equivalent to 1/1,000 of the construction cost.
CHAPTER X COMMITTEE FOR EXAMINATION OF ARTWORKS
Article 35 (Functions)
(1) The Committee for Examination of Artworks under Article 14 (1) of the Enforcement Decree of the Culture and Arts Promotion Act, shall examine the following elements of artworks installed in each building:
Article 36 (Composition and Term of Office)
(1) The Committee for Examination of Artworks shall be composed of not more than 80 members.
Article 37 (Dismissal of Committee Members)
In any of the following cases, the Mayor may dismiss a committee member from office even during his/her term of office of the committee member:
Article 38 (Management of Meetings)
Articles 14 through 18 shall apply mutatis mutandis to the management of the Committee for Examination of Artworks.
CHAPTER XI SUPPLEMENTARY PROVISIONS
Article 39 (Delegation of Authority)
The Mayor shall delegate his/her authority over the following measures to the head of each Gu: Provided, That the foregoing shall not apply to the buildings that require permission from the Mayor for building works under Article 8 (1) of the Enforcement Decree of the Building Act: